What’s one thing that you know is yours only and something that no one else has? Maybe it’s a unique artefact you were gifted by great uncle John or a birthmark you’re proud to show the world, but what about something as simple as your mobile number or email address?
We're looking to the future and searching for new ways for you to get the most out of your banking. So we're jumping onboard with several other banks and financial institutions to bring you a nationwide initiative called the New Payments Platform - also known in the banking world as NPP.
We can't give too much away just yet, but if you're a Member with us you’ll be able to benefit from payments being processed almost straight away and in real time between other participating financial institutions in Australia.
Soon you won't have to wait 24 to 72 hours to receive the $50 your friend owes you from dinner the other night as you'll receive it straight away. And instead of sharing your BSB and account number, a simple PayID is all you need!
What is New Payments Payment (NPP)?
NPP is a major industry initiative to develop new infrastructure for Australian payments. It will provide you with faster, simpler and smarter payments through a fast and versatile payments system.
How did the New Payments Platform (NPP) come about?
NPP is a major industry initiative that came to life following a strategic review of the Australian payments system by the Payments System Board in 2012. This review identified a range of additional features that were desirable in the Australian payments system to make payments faster and in real time.
Spearheaded by the RBA and 13 participating financial institutions, NPP was mobilised.
What are the features of the New Payments Platform (NPP)?
There are four key features of NPP:
- SPEED - the ability to make payments in real time, with close to immediate funds available in your bank account straight away
- 24/7 AVAILABILITY - the ability to make and receive payments 24/7 outside normal banking hours
- SIMPLE ADDRESSING - a system called PayID is what makes this new payment method so easy. You'll be able to make payments using a unique identifier like a phone or mobile number or email address.
- DATA RICH - you can include more information with payments - you’ll be able to include 280 characters of text with your payment
You'll soon notice products and services of NPP called PayID and Osko by BPAY. We've shared some details about them below.
What is PayID?
A PayID is unique to you and you only. It could be your mobile number or email address.
So instead of giving over hard to remember BSB and account numbers, you can give them your PayID and they'll be able to transfer money to you.
No longer will you be waiting 24 to 72 hours for your friend's payment for dinner from the other night. Plus, when you receive their payment it will come with their accompanying message so you know what it's for.
And if you need to pay someone and they are registered for PayID, you’ll only need their PayID to transfer money directly into their bank account. And they'll also receive it in a super speedy timeframe!
Do you need to register for PayID?
Yes. Once it launches we’ll invite you to register for PayID via your Internet Banking. In the meantime, you can get ready by keeping your contact details up to date via visting your local branch, online via Internet Banking or calling us on 1800 075 078.
What are the benefits of PayID?
There are a number of benefits to using a PayID including:
- It makes payments simple and does it in a way that is secure and safe.
- It's convenient as you'll only have to provide payers with details that are easy to remember such as an email address or phone number (mobile or landline).
- It gives you greater peace of mind as you no longer have to provide your financial account information, such as BSB and account number to payers in order to receive payments.
- You'll also have the ability to maintain and transfer your PayID if you change financial institutions.
Is it secure and can I trust it?
It's in everyone's interest that the PayID used to send money via NPP is safe and secure, which is why it's certified to the highest data security capabilities and monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
PayID also has high security standards that must be met by us and other participating financial institutions that register your details on the service, which they can only do with your informed consent.
What are the benefits of Osko by BPAY?
Thanks to Osko by BPAY you'll be able to transfer money in real time, even if your friend is with another financial institution or if it's a weekend. It was developed specifically for NPP so you don't have to wait hours or days for a payment to be received.
- Faster payments - typically will be received in less than a minute
- Payments can be made and received 24/7, 365 days – including weekends, public holidays and outside of normal banking hours
- You can use a PayID to pay and get paid
- You can include 280 characters of text with payments
How is Osko by BPAY and BPAY different?
It's importnat to note that Osko by BPAY will not be replacing BPAY.
Osko by BPAY is a complimentary service to BPAY to address NPP's new and innovative way to make and receive payments.
BPAY is still the easiest way to make bill payments, as it's packed with smart features to make paying bills less complicated - from bill scheduling to auto payments.
Osko by BPAY will allow you to make the payment even faster (in real time and 24/7) via any participating institutions.
How secure is Osko?
Osko by BPAY is implemented via our digital banking channels, so it therefore meets all security demands already applied by our financial institution. You can rest easy knowing that your speedy payment is safe and secure.